Ever since I found this recipe, I've been thinking of ways to use it. Calzones are something Stephen and I have always loved, so I thought I would give them a try. All we did was let the pizza dough rise, divided it into four balls and rolled each into circles. Then we placed the ingredients on one side of each circle, folded the top over and crimped the edges. They were so easy to make! We stuffed ours with ricotta, mozzarella and pepperoni, but really the options are endless.
Calzones (makes 4)
1 dough recipe, found here
2 tbsp. butter
4 tsp. parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Prepare baking surface by dusting lightly with flour or cornmeal.
2. Follow dough directions up until shaping. Divide into 4 balls and make (4) 8"-10"circles.
3. Place ingredients on one side of each circle. Divide seasonings evenly and sprinkle over each.
4. Fold the top over each and crimp the edges by pinching and folding over. Optional: cut 2-3 small slits on the top to prevent bubbles. Place on prepared surface and bake for 10-12 minutes (watch to make sure the tops don't burn).
5. Remove from oven when golden brown. Brush with butter and sprinkle with parmesan. Cool for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Stephen + Natalie | Makes approximately 4-6 calzones