Stephen and I went to Barnes & Noble back in May to look for a few books. I ended up leaving with two cookbooks, one of them being The Back in The Day Bakery Cookbook. If you haven't peeked inside it, you're missing out! My mouth waters each time I turn a page... seriously. This past Sunday I decided to make my own version of their savory chicken and veggie cobbler. I loved the idea of using biscones (a combination of a biscuit and scone) instead of crust, but wasn't incredibly keen on using so much sugar in them. So I made several alterations along they way and it turned out to be one of our favorite meals! I love traditional chicken pot pie, but I'm telling you, this is tasty!
Rustic Chicken and Vegetable Cobbler
6 tbsp. + 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature (divided)
½ c. all-purpose flour
1 c. heavy cream
½ c. whole milk
4 c. (or one 32oz box) chicken broth
4 c. chicken, grilled or roasted, cubed
1 c. yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ c. carrots, chopped (½")
3 ribs celery, chopped (½")
1½ c. frozen peas
1 c. frozen corn
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. ground sage
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. corn starch
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
¾ tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
1½ c. buttermilk
3 tbsp. buttermilk, for brushing
1. To make the biscone topping- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Whisk gently to combine. Add the cold cubed butter. With a pastry blender, work until mixture becomes sandy. Pour in 1½ c. buttermilk and mix until the dough becomes moist and no loose pockets of flour remain. Set dough aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
3. In a large pot over medium heat, melt 6 tbsp. of butter. Add diced onion and garlic and sauté until tender and transparent. Add the carrots and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken stock, cream and whole milk. Raise the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add flour and remaining butter. Whisk constantly until all clumps are gone. Toss in chicken, peas, carrots and seasonings. Cook for an additional 20 minutes or until mixture thickens.
5. Transfer filling to a prepared baking dish. Arrange the biscone dough over top by forming palm size balls and placing them ¼ inch apart. Brush each biscone with buttermilk.
6. Place in oven (you may want to place a foil-lined baking sheet under it to catch drips) and bake for 20 minutes or until the tops of the biscones turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from The Back In The Day Bakery Cookbook, Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Cobbler | Makes approximately 8-10 servings