Last weekend my mother-in-law sent us home with a bag full of zucchini. One of my favorite uses for zucchini is in bread, so of course I decided to whip some up. Only Stephen isn't a huge fan of bread, so this time I made it a little more decadent by adding cocoa powder and chocolate chips- additions very welcomed by him. When it came out of the oven it smelled amazing and tasted pretty darn good too!
Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
6 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. + 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 c. zucchini, grated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. espresso powder (optional)
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans (either with butter or baking Pam).
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat oil, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Add grated zucchini and mix until incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, soda and cinnamon (optional: espresso powder), whisk together. With mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients, one cup at a time. Mix until incorporated.
4. Remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter evenly between the two pans. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.
5. Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 25 minutes. With a knife, gently go around the edges of the loaves, then turn loves over onto a wire rack to cool completely.