M&M Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

M&M Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
The other day I had a HUGE craving for oatmeal cookies! I turned to my mom's oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe and halved it. I decided to adjust a few of the ingredients, using only brown sugar and adding an extra egg yolk to keep the cookies extra moist, chewy and thick. Since I'm a big fan of vanilla I also increased the amount to help flavor the cookies a bit more. Now you don't have to chill the cookie dough, but ever since I made these cookies, I've been obsessed with refrigerating my dough! I just think that it helps create a nice stiff dough which allows the cookies to better hold their shape during the baking process. Being the M&M lover that I am, I loaded mine up with them, and chocolate chips too :) These cookies definitely hit the spot- it's a recipe I'll be using time and time again!

M&M Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients
1 c. all-purpose flour
1¼ c. old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1 c. brown sugar
8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1½ tsp. vanilla
½ c. chocolate chips
½ c. M&Ms

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat mat, set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, brown sugar and vanilla for 3-4 minutes on medium-high. Add egg, mix, then egg yolk, mixing just until combined.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients, mixing until no flour pockets remain. Remove bowl from stand and fold in chocolate chips and M&Ms. Allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before baking.
4. Scoop chilled dough onto the prepared cookie sheets. Gently pat down each ball. Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown in color. The centers should look slightly underbaked, they will firm up once cooled. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on sheets for 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from my Mom's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies | Makes approximately 24 cookies

2 Comments:

  1. Refrigerating cookie dough makes really improved cookies... I tested it a couple of time! Love these:)

    ReplyDelete

Life Made Simple All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger