No matter what I did to prepare during the week, last Friday was chaotic. I planned on having a small group of girls over from church to work on a few little projects. I cleaned the house, kept baby happy and had everything set out for them. But for some reason that afternoon everything fell apart. Baby decided to cry every 10 minutes and didn't want to be set down, I hadn't showered or gotten dressed, and 20 minutes before the girls were to arrive, I realized that I had completely forgotten to make the treat.
Thankfully I remembered that we had a box of Rice Krispies and a half eaten bag of jumbo marshmallows sitting in the pantry. With just minutes to spare before they'd be knocking at the door, I whipped up a batch of these gooey rice krispie treats. The girls loved them! Bless those little sugar-crazed eight year olds. I'm sure they would have been happy with just the marshmallows and sprinkles.
Anyway, I thought I'd share with you the secret to really gooey rice krispie treats. Sure the original recipe is good, but these are better! You start off by pouring the cereal into a large mixing bowl- I'm talking about the biggest one you've got. Any extra room for stirring is always a plus! Then you melt a little extra butter and marshmallows together in a saucepan over low heat until it becomes smooth and shiny. Remove it from the stove and add in a splash of vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt. You won't believe the difference they make! Combine everything in a bowl, add a scoop of extra marshmallows and press them into a buttered 9x9 pan. They come out looking great and tasting amazing. Nice and big just like the ones you see in bakeries and dusted with cute little sprinkles for a festive touch! They'll be gone in seconds!
Gooey Rice Krispie Treats
6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
50 regular marshmallows or 5 c. miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1. Prepare a 9x9 baking pan by buttering the sides and bottom, set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl add cereal.
3. In a medium size saucepan set over low heat, combine butter and regular marshmallows (or the 5 c. miniature marshmallows). With a rubber spatula, stir continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and shiny. Remove from heat and mix in salt and vanilla.
4. Pour over the cereal, stirring to combine. Before the cereal is completely coated, add in the remaining miniature marshmallows, this way they melt slightly but still remain fairly chunky.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press with the spatula to create an even layer. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Adapted from Kellogg's, The Original Treats | Makes 16