Cookies & Cream Ice Cream

Tuesday, October 4, 2011


Stephen and I were talking about which ice cream to make the other day and one of the only kinds we could agree on was cookies and cream. I told him I'd make it as long as he would at least try some of the ones I would make in the future. So here we have it! I will say that I bought 2 little 6 packs of Oreos at the check-out because I figured they'd be enough, but after making the ice cream and adding the cookies, I tossed it in the freezer and headed to the store to buy some more. Embarrassing, I know, but I figured we'd both be disappointed unless there were more- it's kind of like going to get a milkshake and they give you a spoonful of Oreos instead of a handful... you know what I mean? So if you're totally freaked out by the fact that this has 18 Oreos in it, don't worry, you can add as many or as few as you'd like.

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Ingredients
1 c. whole milk
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 c. heavy cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise or 1/2 tsp. ground vanilla bean
6 large egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
16-18 Oreo cookies, chopped

DIRECTIONS:
1. Warm the milk, salt, sugar and 1 c. of cream in a medium sauce pan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean or add the ground vanilla bean to the warm milk. Cover and keep on low heat (just enough to keep warm) for 30 minutes.
2. Pour the remaining 1 c. of cream into a large mixing bowl and place a mesh sieve on top.
3. In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. After combined, scrape the mixture back into the saucepan and return to medium heat. Using a heatproof spatula, scrape the bottom as you stir, until the mixture coats the bottom of the spatula and/or reaches 170 degrees.
4. Pour the heated mixture through the strainer and into the cream. Add the vanilla extract.
5. Place over an ice bath to cool, then place in refrigerator for 30 minutes until chilled throughout.
6. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When finished churning, stir in cookies with spatula.
7. Place in a air-tight freezer safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours.

8 Comments:

  1. Wow - this looks divine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you went back to the store for more Oreos...my kind of girl:-) I love getting lots of oreo chunks in any treat!!! I can just imagine how great this ice cream is!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious!! And I totally would have added more oreos too!! We appreciate you linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We love seeing all of the great recipes and fun ideas! Hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That's my son's all time favorite ice cream. Perfect for summer. I'd love it if you would consider sharing it with our Summer Recipes linky party. We're two blogs sharing one combined linky party for double exposure.

    Shasta
    http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/2012/05/summer-recipes-and-all-stars-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum-my! Thank you so much for sharing this on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust. It is my pleasure to feature you in my Fab Friday Favorites today. Please feel free to take an "I Was Featured" button if you like! And I hope you'll come back again next Friday.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I came across this on Foodgawker. This is one of my favorite all time ice creams. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cookies and cream is definitely the best flavor! i love all the big pieces of oreos in this!

    ReplyDelete

Life Made Simple All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger