Apple Pie Muffins

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

If you're anything like me, and you love apple pie, you're going love these muffins! When I got up this morning and looked around the kitchen for something to make, I spotted a bag of apples I had purchased earlier in the week. Since baking a pie (and eating it) is a lot of work and kind of impractical for the two of us, I thought I could use them in muffins... breakfast muffins that would taste just like apple pie. I knew I could eat my fair share, but I wasn't sure my husband would, so I asked him. He said, "muffins with apples and oats, what am I, a pony?" I figured he wouldn't be too keen on the oats, but as soon as the muffins came out of the oven, he gobbled one up. If you aren't a huge fan of oats, just omit them and increase the flour to a half cup. They'll be just as good!

Apple Pie Muffins
Ingredients
2½ c. all-purpose flour
1½ c. brown sugar, packed
½ c. butter, room temperature
1 c. buttermilk (or 1 c. milk + 1 tbsp. lemon juice, sit for 10 min)
¼ c. plain applesauce
1 egg
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. apple pie or pumpkin pie spice
1½ c. Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced

Topping:
⅓ c. all-purpose flour
½ c. brown sugar, packed
¼ c. rolled oats
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 tbsp. butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with papers.
2. To make the batter, in a medium size mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and spices. Whisk together until incorporated, set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars. Add egg, applesauce, and vanilla, mix on low until combined. With mixer on low speed, alternate buttermilk and dry ingredients, adding about ⅓ of each mixture at a time, until remaining ingredients are gone. Remove bowl from stand and fold in apples. Scoop mixture in to prepared muffin tin (fill just a tad bit over ¾ of the way).
4. To prepare the topping, in a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix until clumps begin to form. Sprinkle over each individual muffin. Place in oven and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. The muffins should have a little spring to them and the topping should be golden brown and crunchy.
5. Remove and let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Sprinkled with Flour- Apple Pie Streusel Muffins | Makes approximately 18 muffins

4 Comments:

  1. We love apple-pies, apple-cakes, and of-course apple-muffins. and yours look wonderful!
    I like the fact that you use roll-oats for the topping, it makes it more crunchy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks tasty! If I was getting this for breakfast, I'd be happy to be a pony. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you added oats to these muffins!!! They sound awesome! Perfect way to use up a bag of apples:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! My daughter and I were looking for cupcake recipes to bring to preschool to share for her birthday, but she saw these muffins and wants them instead. They look delicious...we'll be baking them tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Life Made Simple All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger