Chewy Ginger Cookies

Monday, December 3, 2012

It's December! My Christmas shopping is done and the house is decorated, now it's time for me to relax and bake. I broke out my recipe binder the other day and started thumbing through family recipes. My mom makes these really yummy ginger cookies that I've always loved, so I thought I'd start there. I decided to add some crystalized ginger bits just to give them a little texture and to enhance the spicy ginger flavor that I love so much. They turned out exactly like mom's, something I'm always happy about! Do you ever make family recipes that don't turn out? Yeah, that's always incredibly frustrating! Anyway, these were perfect, so perfectly delicious that I snacked on a few, and then a few more... they're that good!

Chewy Ginger Cookies
Ingredients
2 c. all-purpose flour, sifted
1 c. sugar
¼ c. molasses
¾ c. butter flavored shortening
1 egg
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. diced crystalized ginger bits

½ c. sugar, for rolling

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together shortening, sugar and molasses. Add egg and mix until just combined.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together sifted flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. With mixing speed on low, gradually add to the wet ingredients.
4. Remove bowl from stand and gently fold in crystalized ginger bits. Form into 1½" balls, roll in sugar. Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes. Cookies will look cracked, this is normal. Remove from oven and allow to cool on sheets for 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Stephen+ Natalie Family Recipe | Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies     [photo inspired by: bhg's ginger cookies]

7 Comments:

  1. I love soft, chewy ginger cookies at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These look delicious AND the ginger would help my morning sickness. Bonus! I think I might have to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing more that screams out the holidays than these cookies here! Love that you used crystallized ginger in this too! I'm sure that really amped up the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to have one of these with my cup of chaï!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these look lovely- perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Life Made Simple All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger