Freckled Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A stack of freckled chocolate chip cookies sitting on top of a Ghirardelli chocolate bar
I never get tired of chocolate chip cookies. How could I? There are so many good recipes out there! Soft, chewy, crunchy, gooey- no matter what they turn out like, they're all good! Sunday afternoon I decided we need a few cookies to snack on so I opened up one of my favorite cookbooks and flipped through to see what my options were. I came across a really simple chocolate chip cookie recipe with a gorgeous picture and knew I had to try it out! I made some adjustments and added a few ingredients in hopes of keeping them from spreading and becoming too flat. I think chilling them really helped them to hold their shape and stay nice and thick. Instead of tossing in a handful of chocolate chips I chopped up a Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bar which created the freckles and left the chocolate gooey and swirled throughout. Gosh they were good! So good that I had to bake up some more the following day!

Freckled Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
2½ c. all-purpose flour
1 c. brown sugar
¾ c. sugar
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
2 eggs
¾ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. corn starch
¼ tsp. salt
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 (4 oz) Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate bars, chopped coarsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugars and butter, beat until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add vanilla and one egg, mix until just combined, then add the second egg, mixing until incorporated.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients mixing until no "flour" pockets remain.
4. Remove bowl from stand and fold in chocolate chunks. You'll want to add all of the shards or shavings that result when chopping bars- that's what makes these "freckled!" Place dough into the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes before scooping and placing onto the prepared sheets.
5. Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes- the edges will become light brown and the centers should still look slightly soft and gooey- they'll firm up once they've cooled for a bit. Remove from oven and allow to cool on sheets for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from David Lebovitz, Chocolate Chip Cookies | Makes approximately 36 cookies

2 Comments:

  1. These look sooo delicious Natalie! I usually throw away all those shards and shavings when I chop chocolate bars--finding a way to utilize them is brilliant! I cannot wait to get one of these babies in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Life Made Simple All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger